Are you creative? I believe we all are creative and I wrote Zing! Seven Creativity Practices for Educators and Students
, a book of letters to teachers and librarians, to share habits I've learned that can assist anyone who wants to develop her or his creative self.
Books on creativity are published regularly. Below are a few I've read and enjoyed on the topic of writing. Many of these authors have more than one book that I found helpful.
- Atchity, Kenneth. A Writer's Time: A Guide to the Creative Process, from Vision through Revision
- Brande, Dorothea. Becoming a Writer
- Cameron, Julia. The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity
- Csikszentmihaly, Mihaly. Finding Flow: The Psychology of Engagement with Everyday Life
- Dillard, Annie. The Writing Life
- Drury, John. The Poetry Dictionary
- Goldberg, Natalie. Writing Down the Bones
- LeMott, Annie. Bird by Bird
- Malone, Nancy M. Walking a Literary Labyrinth: A Spirituality of Reading
- Oliver, Mary. A Poetry Handbook: A Prose Guide To Understanding and Writing Poetry
- Ueland, Brenda. If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit [Caveat: This book published in 1938 contains some cultural attitudes that make me groan; that aside, it is a helpful book.]
For more thoughts on creativity, visit my page 20 Tips for Writing Children's Books